Vistas de página en total

miércoles, 21 de noviembre de 2012

BLINDED BY THE LIGHT


* “Let we move on to something else. Can I have a guitar? I wrote a lot of notes which I'll be drawing from... I wrote them yesterday,... the day before, I thought they were really brilliant. But then,  then I read them this morning and I sounded like I was really full of myself which,... I don't actually need notes to help me with, so... But I'll be, but I'll be checking on them as we go through the night. Alright, this was a song that was written as... I handed my first record in to Clive Davis and... "yeah that's just great, great, but there's no hits, there's nothing, we can't play anything on the radio." So, I'm thinking, "I have no hits, we gotta have some hits", you know. So I went to him…I went to the beach and I wrote this song and I wrote "Spirit in the Night" but I wrote I think "Blinded by the Light". And so,...I handed the record in and I found Clarence who had been missing in action, which is why he's only on the first two songs on the first album because, couldn't find him, you know. And  let me set the scene; I'm sitting on my bed, people always ask me the one question, the dumbest question in the world, but they always ask you, "what, what came first, the music or the words?" You know, when somebody wants to ask you something about songwriting. Usually, I wanna say this, in this song the words came first. And I was sitting on my bed with a rhyming dictionary in one hand and a notebook in the other one. I am in my apartment which is above an old abandoned beauty salon in Asbury Park. And...this is what happened.”
(04-04-2005, Red Bank, NJ)


BLINDED BY THE LIGHT

Madman drummers bummers and Indians in the summer with a teenage diplomat
In the dumps with the mumps as the adolescent pumps his way into his hat
With a boulder on my shoulder, feelin' kinda older I tripped the merry-go-round
With this very unpleasing sneezing and wheezing the calliope crashed to the ground
Some all-hot half-shot was headin' for the hot spot snappin' his fingers clappin' his hands
Some fleshpot mascot was tied into a lover's knot with a whatnot in her hand
Now young Scott with a slingshot finally found a tender spot, throws his lover in the sand
Some bloodshot forget-me-not whispers, "Daddy's within earshot, save the buckshot, turn up the band"

And she was blinded by the light
Cut loose like a deuce another runner in the night
Blinded by the light
She got down but she never got tight but she'll make it alright

Some brimstone baritone anti-cyclone rolling stone preacher from the east
He says, "Dethrone the dictaphone, hit it in the funny bone, that's where they expect it least"
Some new-mown chaperone is standin' in the corner all alone watchin' the young girls dance
Some fresh-sown moonstone was messin' with his frozen zone to remind him of the feeling
of romance

Yeah, he was blinded by the light
Cut loose like a deuce another runner in the night
Blinded by the light
He got down but she never got tight but he's gonna make it tonight

Some silicone sister with her manager's mister told me I got what it takes
She said, "I'll turn you on sonny, to something strong if you'll play that song with the funky break"
And Go-cart Mozart was checkin' out the weather chart to see if it was safe to go outside
And little Early-Pearly came by in her curly-wurly, asked me if I needed a ride
Oh, some hazard from Harvard was skunked on beer playin' backyard bombardier
Scotland Yard was trying hard, they sent some dude with a calling card, says, "Do what you like, don't do it here"
I jumped up, turned around, spit in the air, fell on the ground
Asked him which was the way back home
He said, "Take a right at the light, keep goin' straight until night, and then, boys, you're on your own"

In Zanzibar a shootin' star was ridin' in a side car hummin' a lunar tune
Yeah, and the avatar said, "Blow the bar but first, first remove the cookie jar! Teach those boys to laugh too soon"
Some kidnapped handicap was complainin' that he caught the clap on some mousetrap he bought last night
Well, I unsnapped his skull cap, between his ears I saw a gap and figured he'd be all right

He was just blinded by the light
Cut loose like a deuce another runner in the night
Blinded by the light
Mama always told me not to look into the sights of the sun
Whoa, but mama that's where the fun is
I was blinded
I was blinded


* “Pasemos a otra cosa. ¿Me pasáis una guitarra? Escribí un montón de notas que voy a explicar... las escribí ayer... el día antes, me parecieron realmente brillantes. Pero después, al leerlas esta mañana, me sonaron muy pretenciosas, y lo cierto es que no necesito notas para sonar pretencioso, así... pero voy a revisarlas durante la noche.
Muy bien, ésta fue una canción que escribí para…le pasé mi primer disco a Clive Davis y... "sí, está muy, muy bien, pero no hay éxitos, no hay nada que podamos poner en la radio." Así que pensé "No tengo éxitos; necesitamos éxitos", ya sabéis. Así que me fui…me fui a la playa y escribí esta canción junto a "Spirit in the Night" y creo que también "Blinded by the Light". Y retomamos el disco y encontré a Clarence que había estado desaparecido en combate, y es por eso que sólo está presente en las dos primeras canciones del disco, porque no sabía donde estaba,¿sabéis?. Dejadme describir la escena; Estoy sentado en mi cama, la gente siempre me pregunta lo mismo, la pregunta más estúpida del mundo, siempre preguntan: "¿Qué se escribe primero, la letra o la música?" Ya sabéis, cuando alguien quiere preguntarte algo sobre tu método de escribir. Normalmente digo que en esta canción lo primero fue la letra. Y estaba sentado en la cama con un diccionario de rimas en una mano y un cuaderno en la otra. Estaba en un apartamento situado sobre un viejo salón de belleza abandonado en Asbury Park.
Y…esto es lo que ocurrió
(04-04-2005, Red Bank, NJ)


CEGADO POR LA LUZ

Peleas de baterías locos e indios en el verano con un diplomático adolescente
En los vertederos con paperas mientras el adolescente vacila con su sombrero
Con una roca en mis hombros, sintiéndome un poco viejo, activé el tiovivo
Con un desagradable estornudo y jadeando, el calíope se estrelló en el suelo
Un chulo de pacotilla se dirigía al sitio de moda chasqueando los dedos, dando palmas
Y una muñeca tremenda atada a un lío de amantes con una chuchería en su mano
Finalmente el joven Scott con una honda encontró un lugar delicado y tumbó a su amante en la arena
En un sangriento no-me-olvides susurró: "Papá puede oírnos, ahórrate el perdigón, sube la música"

Y fue cegada por la luz
Se soltó como un diablo, otro corredor en la noche
Cegada por la luz
Ella lo intentó pero nunca se emocionó pero lo hará muy bien

Un predicador de azufre, barítono, anticiclón, piedra rodante del este
Dijo: "Destronad al dictáfono, golpeadle en el hueso de la risa, ahí es donde menos lo espera"
Un carabina recién afeitado estaba completamente solo en un rincón, mirando a las chicas bailar
Una gema traslúcida recién sembrada estaba manoseando su zona helada recordándole la sensación de romance

Sí, fue cegado por la luz
Se soltó como un diablo, otro corredor en la noche
Cegado por la luz
Él lo intentó pero ella no se emocionó, pero va a hacerlo esta noche

Una tía de silicona con el marido de su mánager me dijo que tengo lo que hace falta
Me dijo: "Te pondré a tono, hijo, para algo fuerte si tocas aquella canción con ritmo funky"
Y el cochecito Mozart estaba mirando el mapa del tiempo para ver si era prudente salir afuera
Y la pequeña Early-Pearly se presentó en su coche y preguntó si me podía llevar
Un pez gordo de Harvard, ahogado en cerveza, hacía de bombardero en el patio
Scotland Yard se esforzaba, y me enviaron a un tipo con una tarjeta que decía: "Haz lo que quieras, pero no lo hagas aquí"
Salté, me dí la vuelta, escupí al aire, caí al suelo, le pregunté cuál era el camino para volver a casa
Me dijo: "A la derecha en el semáforo, sigue recto hasta la noche y luego, chico, ya es cosa tuya"

En Zanzíbar una estrella fugaz iba en un sidecar tarareando una melodía lunar
Y el avatar dijo: "¡Volad del bar, pero primero coged el bote de galletas! Muy pronto enseñaremos a reír a esos tipos"
Y un mutilado secuestrado se quejaba de haber cogido la gonorrea de una ratonera que compró la otra noche
Levanté su gorra de calavera y entre sus orejas vi un hueco pero imaginé que estaba bien

Fue cegado por la luz
Se soltó como un diablo, otro corredor en la noche
Cegado por la luz
Mamá siempre me decía que no mirara directamente al sol
Oh pero mamá, ahí es donde está la diversión
Fui cegado
Fui cegado



2009




2005




2006

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario