Vistas de página en total

martes, 27 de noviembre de 2012

THE RIVER


* INTRO TO ‘THE RIVER’ (LIVE 1975/85)


* How are you doing out there tonight? that’s good, that’s good. When I was growing up, me and my Dad, we used to go at it all the time, it seemed like it was over anything, he always seemed so angry, like the thing that used to always get to him was when I was 18, I used to have a real long hair, like way down to my shoulders and he used to hate it, he used to hate it so much, and he used to wait for me at night in the house and it got to where we were fighting so much that I’d stay out of the house a lot, and in the summertime it wasn’t so bad but when the winter came, I remember being downtown and it would get so cold and when the wind’d blow, I had this phone booth I used to stand in and I used to stand there and call my girl and get her to call me back and then talk to her for hours at a time all night and finally when I’d go home I’d stand in the driveway and I’d tuck my hair down so he couldn’t tell how long it was and I’d get up on the porch and I’d get into the kitchen and he’d always call me to sit down with him and talk to him and he’d sit there with all the lights out and I could never see him and he’d always ask me the same question, what I thought I was doing with myself, and the worst part about it was I could never answer and he used to tell me ´Man, I can’t wait till the army gets you. Man, when the army gets you, they’re gonna make a man out of you, they’re gonna cut all that hair off and they’ll finally make a man out of you´ And I can remember one time I had an accident, a motorcycle accident and I was laid up in bed and he had a barber come in and cut my hair when I couldn’t walk. I can remember telling him that I hated him and that I would never ever forget it. Then I got, I remember the day I got my draft notice in the mail. I hid it from my folks and then three days before I was supposed to go up for my physical me and my buddies went out and we stayed up all night and I remember we got on the bus that morning and we were so scared, ´cause it was in ´68 and the Vietnam War was going on and there was a lot of guys leaving town that didn’t ever come back, and there were guys that came back and they just weren’t the same again. And we were so scared going up on that bus and we went up and we took the physical and I failed, it’s nothing applaud about, but I can remember coming home, walking in the kitchen and my Mom and Pop sitting there and they asked me ´Where’ve you been for three days ?´ and I said ´I went, I had to take my draft physical´ my Dad said ´What happened?´ and I said ´I failed´ And he said ´That’s good´ (02-10-1985, Los Angeles, CA)


THE RIVER

I come from down in the valley
Where mister when you're young
They bring you up to do like your daddy done
Me and Mary we met in high school
When she was just seventeen
We'd ride out of that valley
Down to where the fields were green
We'd go down to the river
And into the river we'd dive
Oh down to the river we'd ride

Then I got Mary pregnant
And man that was all she wrote
And for my nineteenth birthday
I got a union card
And a wedding coat
We went down to the courthouse
And the judge put it all to rest
No wedding day smiles
No walk down the aisle
No flowers
No wedding dress
That night we went down to the river
And into the river we'd dive
Oh down to the river we did ride

I got a job working construction
For the Johnstown Company
But lately there ain't been much work
On account of the economy
Now all them things that seemed so important
Well mister they vanished right into the air
Now I just act like I don't remember
Mary acts like she don't care

But I remember us riding in my brother's car
Her body tan and wet down at the reservoir
At night on them banks I'd lie awake
And pull her close just to feel each breath she'd take
Now those memories come back to haunt me
They haunt me like a curse
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true
Or is it something worse
That sends me down to the river
Though I know the river is dry
That sends me down to the river tonight
Down to the river
My baby and I
Oh down to the river we ride




* INTRO A ‘THE RIVER’ (LIVE 1975/85)


* ¿Qué tal lo estáis pasando esta noche? Eso está bien. Cuando era un chaval, mi padre y yo solíamos pelearnos todo el rato, por cualquier cosa, él siempre parecía muy enfadado, y lo que más le cabreaba siempre era que, cuando yo tenía 18 años, llevaba el pelo realmente largo, que me pasaban por encima de mis hombros y él lo odiaba, lo odiaba muchísimo, y solía esperarme por la noche en casa… y llegó un momento que nos peleábamos tanto que prefería salir de casa muchas veces. Y, durante el verano, no estaba mal, pero al llegar el invierno, recuerdo como me iba al centro y que hacía un frío terrible y cuando el viento soplaba, me metía en una cabina de teléfonos y me quedaba allí y llamaba a mi chica para que me devolviera la llamada y después hablábamos durante horas, durante toda la noche, y finalmente, cuando regresaba a casa, al llegar a la entrada, me metía el pelo en la camisa para que él no pudiera ver lo largo que era y me quedaba en el porche o iba a la cocina y él siempre me llamaba para sentarme para hablar y se quedaba allí sentado, con las luces apagadas y nunca podía verle y siempre me preguntaba lo mismo: que qué pensaba que estaba haciendo con mi vida, y lo pero de todo era que nunca podía responder y solía decirme: “Tío, sólo espero que el ejército te llame. Tío, cuando el ejército te llame, van a hacerte un hombre, van a cortarte todo ese pelo y finalmente harán un hombre de ti”. Y recuerdo que una vez tuve un accidente, un accidente de motocicleta, y estuve acostado en la cama y él hizo venir a un barbero para que me cortara el pelo mientras no podía caminar. Recuerdo que le dije que le odiaba y que nunca olvidaría aquello. Y después recibí, recuerdo el día que recibí mi nota de reclutamiento por correo. Se la escondí a mis padres, y tres días antes de la fecha del reconocimiento médico, mis colegas y yo salimos  de juerga toda la noche y recuerdo que tomamos un bus esa mañana y estábamos todos muy asustados, porque era el ’68 y la guerra de Vietnam estaba allí y había muchos chicos que dejaban la ciudad y jamás regresaban, y había chicos que regresaban y nunca volvían a ser los mismos. Y estábamos aterrorizados en ese bus y llegamos allí para pasar el reconocimiento médico y… no lo pasé… no es para aplaudir…pero recuerdo regresar a casa, entrando en la cocina y mi madre y mi padre sentados allí y me preguntaron ‘¿Dónde has estado estos tres días?’ y dije ‘He ido.. tenía que pasar el reconocimiento médico’ mi padre dijo ‘¿Y qué ha pasado?’ y dije ‘No lo pasé’ y  él contestó ‘Eso está bien’  (02-10-1985, Los Angeles, CA)





EL RÍO

Provengo del interior de un valle
Donde, señor, cuando eres joven
Te educan para que hagas igual que hizo tu padre
Mary y yo nos conocimos en el instituto
Cuando ella tenía diecisiete años
Conducíamos lejos de ese valle
Hacia donde los campos eran verdes
Bajábamos hasta el río
Y en el río nos zambullíamos
Oh, junto al río hacíamos el amor

Dejé a Mary embarazada
Y esa fue toda su historia, señor
Y al cumplir los diecinueve años
Conseguí un carnet del sindicato
Y una chaqueta de boda
Nos dirigimos hacia el juzgado
Y el juez se encargó del resto
Ni sonrisas de día boda
Ni paseo hasta el altar
Ni flores
Ni vestido de novia
Aquella noche bajamos hasta el río
Y en el río nos zambullimos
Oh, junto al río hicimos el amor

Logré un trabajo en la construcción
Para la ‘Johnstown Company’
Pero últimamente no hay mucho trabajo
Por culpa de la economía
Ahora todas esas cosas que parecían tan importantes
Señor, simplemente se desvanecieron en el aire
Yo sólo actúo como si no me acordara
Mary, como si no le importara

Pero recuerdo conducir en el coche de mi hermano
Su cuerpo bronceado y húmedo junto al pantano
De noche en esa orilla me tumbaba despierto
Y la abrazaba con fuerza hasta que sentía su respiración
Ahora esos recuerdos han vuelto para perseguirme
Me persiguen como una maldición
¿Es un sueño una mentira si no se hace realidad?
¿O es algo mucho peor?
Lo que me lleva de nuevo hasta el río
Aunque sé que el río se ha secado
Lo que me lleva de nuevo hasta el río esta noche
Hasta el río
Mi chica y yo
Oh, junto al río hacemos el amor



1979 - Debut en directo




1985



Con la 'otra banda' - 1993





Versión acústica - 1997




Versión lenta - 2000





Versión al piano - 2005



Versión 'irlandesa' - 2006




Glastonbury - 2009

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario