Vistas de página en total

domingo, 25 de noviembre de 2012

THE WISH


* Last night I did a song about my dad....tonight I´m gonna do something different.... I wrote this song quite a while ago and I never really recorded it, it’s a song about my mother...and it was a funny thing because, you have this song and I said ´Gee, in rock music, in rock´n´ roll....ain´t nobody sings about their mother out there´....so I said ´Well, gee, why is that ?´, it’s against all that macho posturing you have to do and stuff....so I said ´Wait a minute, wait, wait a minute´....this was a real problem so I wanted to figure it out so I went to see this psychiatrist....it’s a true story....and I told him what the problem was I had this song about my mother and I hadn’t sung it because of all the macho posturing that I have to do....so he said he understood, he says ´Well, you have to see, you see, all men are afraid of their mothers, they say a boy’s best friend is his mother but really all men are afraid of their mothers´....I had to pay for this, you’re gonna get it for free, right....so, I said ´Well, men are afraid of their mothers ....yeah....that’s why....that’s like when a man and woman, when they get arguing, the woman’s always going : ´Do I look like your mother ?....I’m not your mother....am I supposed to be your mother ?´....you know, that’s why the men are always going like : ´Stop mothering me.... my mother used to do that´....that kind of thing....so realising the truth of this thing, I said ´Wait a minute....I’m man enough to sing about my mother´ I ain´t afraid, you know, only a little bit which is why I’m talking so long before I sing this song but I’m gonna leap into the void and the great line of mother lovers : Richard Nixon, Elvis Presley, Merle Haggard and every country and western singer you ever knew....so....Mom, if you’re out there.... (17-11-1990, Los Angeles, CA)


** This next song is gonna be a little risky, I've only played this once before in public.... that's to get your sympathy in case I fuck it up....but it's risky for a couple of reasons.... I guess I'm gonna play it tonight 'cause this is my last show before Christmas and it's kind of a Christmas song....don't get your hopes up but what's really kind of dangerous is like.... this is a song about my mother so....I've written about my dad a lot and that’s kind of, you know....a manly thing to do but it takes a real man or an Italian to sing about his mother ....you see, generally mother-singing is confined to country music, gospel music or Elvis Presley....so I will span the genres as I stand here tonight....though James Gagney had some great mother-lines in his motion pictures so top of the world, Ma, here I go.... it´d better be good now…this is called The Wish…who's buying those bootlegs out there ? Here we go...." (17-12-1995, New York City, NY)

THE WISH

Dirty old street all slushed up in the rain and snow
Little boy and his ma shivering outside
A rundown music store window
That night on top of a Christmas tree
Shines one beautiful star
And lying underneath a brand-new Japanese guitar

I remember in the morning, ma
Hearing your alarm clock ring
I'd lie in bed and listen to you gettin' ready for work
The sound of your makeup case on the sink
And the ladies at the office
All lipstick, perfume and rustlin' skirts
And how proud and happy you always looked
Walking home from work

If pa's eyes were windows
Into a world so deadly and true
You couldn't stop me from looking
But you kept me from crawlin' through
And if it's a funny old world, Ma
Where a little boy's wishes come true
Well I got a few left in my pocket
And a special one just for you

It ain't no phone call on Sunday
Flowers or a mother's day card
It ain't no house on a hill
With a garden and a nice little yard
I got my hot rod down on Bond Street
I'm older but you'll know me in a glance
We'll find us a little rock 'n roll bar
And baby we'll go out and dance

Well it was me in my Beatle boots
You in pink curlers and matador pants
Pullin' me up of the couch
To do the twist for my uncles and aunts
Well I found a girl of my own now, ma
I popped the question on your birthday
She stood waiting on the front porch
While you were telling me to get out there
And say what it was that I had to say

Last night we all sat around laughing
At the things that guitar bought us
And I layed awake thinking 'bout
The other things it's brought us
Well tonight I'm takin's requests here in the kitchen
This one's for you, ma
Let me come right out and say it
It's overdue
But baby, if you're looking for a sad song
Well I ain't gonna play it


* La otra noche toqué una canción sobre mi padre....esta noche haré algo diferente... escribí esta canción hace poco y no llegué a grabarla, es una canción sobre mi madre...y es algo curioso porque la terminé y dije ´Dios, en la música rock, en rock´n´ roll....nadie va por ahí cantando sobre su madre´....así que dije ´Bien, Dios, ¿por qué será ?´, va en contra de esa postura de macho que debes mostrar y todo eso....así que dije ´Espera un minuto, espera, espera un minuto´....era un auténtico problema así que quería solucionarlo y fui a ver a mi psiquiatra....es una historia real....y le expliqué el problema con esta canción sobre mi madre y que no la había cantado por todo eso de la postura de macho que debo mostrar....y me dijo que lo entendía, dijo ´Bien, verás, mira, todos los hombres tienen miedo de sus madres, dicen que el mejor amigo de un niño es su madre pero en realidad todos los hombres tienen miedo de sus madres´....tuve que pagar por esto, ahora vosotros lo tenéis gratis....así que dije ´Bien, los hombres tienen miedo de sus madres ....sí....por eso....por eso cuando un hombre y una mujer están discutiendo, la mujer siempre dice : ´¿Me parezco a tu madre?....yo no soy tu madre....¿Te crees que soy tu madre?´....ya sabéis, por eso todos los hombres acaban con : ´Deja de tratarme así.... mi madre lo hacía así´....ese tipo de cosas....así que para descubrir la verdad de esto, dije ´Espera un minuto....soy bastante hombre para cantar sobre mi madre´ no tengo miedo, ya sabéis, sólo un poco, y por eso estoy hablando tanto antes de cantar esta canción, pero voy a saltar al vacío y citaré algunos grandes ‘mother lovers’ : Richard Nixon, Elvis Presley, Merle Haggard y cada cantante de country y de western que recordéis...así que....Mamá, si estás ahí.... (17-11-1990, Los Angeles, CA)


** La próxima canción es un poco arriesgada, sólo la he tocado otra vez en público.... esto es para ganarme vuestra simpatía por si la cago....pero es arriesgada por varias razones, creo que la voy a tocar esta noche porque es mi último concierto antes de Navidad y es una especie de canción de Navidad....no os hagáis ilusiones, porque lo realmente peligroso es.... que es una canción sobre mi madre así que....he escrito mucho sobre mi padre y ese tipo de, ya sabéis....cosas de hombres, pero hay que ser muy hombre o italiano para cantar sobre tu madre ....veréis, generalmente, lo de cantar sobre las madres  se reserva a la música country, música gospel o Elvis Presley....así que voy a cruzar los géneros ante ustedes esta noche....aunque James Gagney tenía buenos diálogos con su madre en sus películas..así que, hacia la cima del mundo, Ma, allá voy.... pórtate bien ahora…se llama The Wish…para quien compre bootlegs por ahí, allá vamos (17-12-1995, New York City, NY)


EL DESEO

En una vieja calle sucia regada con lluvia y nieve
Un niño y su madre tiritan delante
Del escaparate de una tienda de música
Esta noche, encima de un árbol de Navidad
Brilla una hermosa estrella
Y espera a sus pies una flamante guitarra japonesa

Recuerdo esas mañanas, mamá
Cuando oía sonar tu despertador
Desde la cama te escuchaba arreglándote para el trabajo
Con el sonido del estuche de maquillaje en el lavabo
Y esas chicas de la oficina
Con pintalabios, perfume y faldas chillonas
Y lo orgullosa y feliz que siempre se te veía
Regresando a casa del trabajo

Si los ojos de papá eran ventanas
Abiertas a un mundo mortífero y real
No pudiste impedir que me asomara
Pero evitaste que me arrastrara al interior
Y si hay un viejo mundo feliz, mamá
Donde los deseos de un niño se cumplen
A mí me quedan algunos en el bolsillo
Y uno muy especial para ti

No es una llamada en domingo
Flores o tarjetas de día de la madre
No es una casa en la colina
Con jardín y pequeño patio acogedor
Nos espera mi deportivo en Bond Street
Soy mayor pero me reconocerás enseguida
Buscaremos un bar de rock and roll
Y saldremos juntos a bailar

Yo iba con mis botas de Beatle
Tú con rulos rosas y pantalones pitillo
Me levantabas del sofá
Para bailar el twist para mis tías y tíos
Bueno, ahora he encontrado una chica, mamá
Le propuse matrimonio en tu cumpleaños
Estaba esperando en el porche
Mientras tú me decías que saliera
A decirle lo que tuviera que decir

Anoche nos reunimos todos y reímos
Por las cosas que compró esa guitarra
Y me quedé despierto pensando
En las otras cosas que supuso
Esta noche acepto peticiones, aquí, en la cocina
Ésta es para ti, mamá
Déjame dar un paso y decirlo
Llega tarde
Pero si esperas una canción triste
No pienso tocarla



1990



1996




2003




2005

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario