Vistas de página en total

viernes, 16 de noviembre de 2012

OPEN ALL NIGHT


* Anybody ever been on the New Jersey Turnpike? I was driving down from north Jersey to the Shore and it was about three am and I was just kind of humming along, I was feeling pretty good just going a little bit over the speed limit, only a little bit and I was sitting there dreaming about a ham-and-cheese sandwich when I’d get home, I was imaging going to my refrigerator picking out the ham, picking out the cheese putting it on that little bread sitting down in front of the TV I was so happy and then I see those little red lights in my rearview mirror so I pulled over so, I’m the kind of person, like, I always forget my wallet, I never have my wallet with me so he comes over, says “Keep them hands on the steering wheel. License, registration” I say “Sir, I don’t have my license and registration with me” so he took my name and he went and got back in the car and he calls me back in about five minutes, he says “Hey, are, are you that rock’n’roll singer?” I said “Yeah, yeah, that’s me, that’s me!” he says “You, did you write that “Born to Run-song, is that your song?” I said “Yeah, yeah, that’s me, I did that” he says “Yeah, you know, I got some of your albums at home,” I said “You do?” he says “Yeah,” says “Son, you’re in a lot of trouble”
I had all the unpaid tickets but, you see, really I’d paid them all already but they took me down to the police station, then they kind of kept me there and impounded my truck and these things happen. But anyway, I was inspired and as I sat there, I thought to myself, well, I had the carburetor (…) But anyway, they finally let my out on my own recognizance but they kept the truck so I was walking down the highway around 4.30 and there was this little café and I went inside and there was this little waitress and she said “Don’t worry, darling ‘cause we’re open all night” (08-07-1984, Cleveland, OH)


OPEN ALL NIGHT

Well, I had the carburetor, baby, cleaned and checked
With her line blown out she's hummin' like a turbojet
Propped her up in the backyard on concrete blocks
For a new clutch plate and a new set of shocks
Took her down to the carwash
Check the plugs and points
Well, I'm goin' out tonight
I'm gonna rock that joint

Early North Jersey industrial skyline
I'm a all-set cobra jet creepin' through the nightime
Gotta find a gas station, gotta find a payphone
This turnpike sure is spooky
At night when you're all alone
Gotta hit the gas, baby
I'm running late
This New Jersey in the mornin' like a lunar landscape

Now, the boss don't dig me
So he put me on the nightshift
It's an all night run to get back to where my baby lives
In the wee wee hours your mind gets hazy
Radio relay towers, won't you lead me to my baby? 
Underneath the overpass
Trooper hits his party light switch
Goodnight good luck one two power shift

I met Wanda when she was employed
Behind the counter at route 60 Bob's Big Boy
Fried Chicken on the front seat, she's sittin' in my lap
We're wipin' our fingers on a Texaco roadmap
I remember Wanda up on scrap metal hill
With them big brown eyes
That make your heart stand still


Well, at five a.m., oil pressure's sinkin' fast
I make a pit stop, wipe the windshield, check the gas
Gotta call my baby on the telephone
Let her know that her daddy's comin' on home
Sit tight, little mama, I'm comin' 'round
I got three more hours, but I'm coverin' ground

Your eyes get itchy in the wee wee hours
Sun’s just a red ball risin'
Over them refinery towers
Radio's jammed up with gospel stations
Lost souls callin' long distance salvation

Hey, mister deejay, woncha hear my last prayer
Hey, ho, rock'n'roll, deliver me from nowhere



* ¿Alguien ha estado alguna vez en una autopista de New Jersey? Iba conduciendo desde el norte de Jersey a la costa y eran las tres de la mañana e iba tarareando algo, me sentía muy bien, iba un poco por encima del límite de velocidad, sólo un poco, soñando con un sándwich de jamón y queso cuando llegara a casa, imaginando ir a la nevera y coger el jamón, coger el queso, y ponerlos en el pan sentado frente al televisor, tan feliz, hasta que de pronto vi esas luces rojas en el retrovisor, así que paré, y, bueno, soy del tipo de personas que siempre se olvidan la cartera en casa, nunca llevo la cartera conmigo, así que se acerca el policía y dice: “Mantenga las manos sobre el volante. Carnet y licencia” Y Digo: “Señor, no llevo conmigo ni el carnet ni la licencia” Así que apuntó mi nombre y se fue de nuevo hasta el coche y me llama al cabo de unos cinco minutos y dice: “Hey, ¿Eres…eres ese cantante de rock’n’roll?” Dije: “¡Sí, sí, el mismo, el mismo!” Y dice: “Tú ¿no escribiste la canción ‘Born to run’? ¿No es tuya esa canción?” Y dije: “Sí, sí, es mía, yo la compuse” Y dice: “Sí, sabes, tengo algunos de tus discos en casa” Y dije: “¿En serio? Dice: “Sí” Y dice: “Hijo, te has metido en un gran problema” Tuve muchas multas impagadas pero, bueno, realmente ya las pagué todas, pero me acompañaron a la estación de policía, y me retuvieron allí y me confiscaron la furgoneta y, bueno, esas cosas pasan. Pero, de cualquier forma, eso me inspiró y mientras estaba allí sentado, pensé para mí, ‘Tenía el carburador (…)‘ Pero finalmente me dejaron marchar pero se quedaron la furgoneta, así que iba andando cerca de la autopista sobre las 4.30 y había un pequeño café y entré y allí había una pequeña camarera que me dijo: “No te preocupes, cariño, porque tenemos abierto toda la noche”   (08-07-1984, Cleveland, OH)

ABIERTO TODA LA NOCHE

Ya tenía el carburador, cariño,  limpiado y revisado
Con el tubo desatascado zumbaba como un turbojet
Lo apoyé en el patio sobre ladrillos de hormigón
Para cambiar el embrague y los amortiguadores
Lo llevé hasta el túnel de lavado
Comprobé bujías y contactos
Voy a salir esta noche
Haré vibrar ese trasto

Cielo industrial de North Jersey al amanecer
Soy una cobra a reacción deslizándose entre la noche
Debo encontrar una gasolinera, encontrar un teléfono 
Esta autopista es terrorífica
Por la noche cuando estás solo
Debo acelerar, cariño
Voy retrasado
Esta New Jersey por la mañana parece un paisaje lunar

Bueno, el jefe no me traga
Así que me puso en el turno de noche 
Viajaré toda la noche para regresar donde vive mi chica
A altas horas de la noche tu mente se nubla
Torres de la radio, ¿no me guiaréis hasta mi chica?
Bajo el paso elevado
Un policía enciende sus luces de fiesta
Buenas noches, buena suerte, uno, dos, a todo gas

Conocí a Wanda cuando trabajaba
En la Ruta 60 tras la barra del Bob's Big Boy
Pollo frito en el asiento delantero, sentada en mi regazo 
Nos limpiamos los dedos en un mapa de Texaco
Recuerdo a Wanda sobre una montaña de chatarra
Con sus grandes ojos marrones
Que hacen que se detenga tu corazón

Cinco de la mañana, presión de aceite bajando deprisa 
Hago una parada, limpio el parabrisas, repuesto gasolina 
Debo llamar a mi chica por teléfono
Hacerle saber que su chico regresa a casa
Tranquila, pequeña, estoy de camino
Aún me quedan tres horas, pero voy lanzado

Los ojos te pican a altas horas de la noche
El sol es una bola roja que se alza
Sobre las torres de la refinería
La radio está repleta de emisoras religiosas
Almas perdidas suplicando salvación a distancia

Oiga, señor deejay, ¿quiere oír mi último rezo?
¡Hey, Ho, rock'n'roll! Líbrame de la nada





2005


                                          

Sessions Band



1984


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario