Vistas de página en total

martes, 20 de noviembre de 2012

THE LINE



*This is a song that set at the San Diego border station where you get a lot of young guys coming out of the army and they go to work for the border patrol and a Mexican writer Carlos Fuentes said, that California was Mexico till about 1840, and so the border is more like a scar than a border, so these guys go to work down there and I think it’s a hard job knowing where the line always is (13-03-1996, Stockholm, Sweden)

THE LINE

I got my discharge from Fort Irwin
Took a place on the San Diego county line
Felt funny bein' a civilian again
It’d been some time
My wife had died a year ago
I was still tryin' to find my way back whole
Went to work for the INS on the line
With the California Border Patrol

Bobby Ramirez was a ten-year veteran
We became friends
His family was from Guanajuato
So the job it was different for him
He said "They risk death in the deserts and mountains 
Pay all they got to the smugglers rings
We send 'em home and they come right back again
Carl, hunger is a powerful thing"

Well I was good at doin' what I was told
Kept my uniform pressed and clean
At night I chased their shadows
Through the arroyos and ravines
Drug runners, farmers with their families
Young women with little children by their sides
Come night we'd wait out in the canyons
And try to keep 'em from crossin' the line

Well the first time that I saw her
She was in the holdin' pen
Our eyes met and she looked away
Then she looked back again
Her hair was black as coal
Her eyes reminded me of what I'd lost
She had a young child cryin' in her arms
And I asked, "Senora, is there anything I can do"
There's a bar in Tijuana
Where me and Bobby drink alongside the same people 
We'd sent back the day before
We met there she said her name was Louisa
She was from Sonora and had just come north
We danced and I held her in my arms
And I knew what I would do
She said she had some family in Madera county
If she, her child and her younger brother
Could just get through

At night they come across the levee
In the searchlights dusty glow
We'd rush 'em in our Broncos
And force 'em back down into the river below
She climbed into my truck
She leaned towards me and we kissed
As we drove her brother’s shirt slipped open
And I saw the tape across his chest
We were just about on the highway
When Bobby's jeep come up
In the dust on my right
I pulled over and let my engine run
And stepped out into his lights
I felt myself movin'
Felt my gun restin' 'neath my hand
We stood there starin' at each other
As off through the arroyo she ran

Bobby Ramirez he never said nothin'
Six months later I left the line
I drifted to the central valley
And took what work I could find
At night I searched the local bars
And the migrant towns
Lookin' for my Louisa
With the black hair fallin' down



* Esta canción transcurre en la estación de la frontera de San Diego donde llegan muchos jóvenes salidos del ejército y empiezan a trabajar para la patrulla fronteriza, pero, como el escritor mexicano Carlos Fuentes dijo, California fue México hasta 1840, por lo que la frontera es más una cicatriz que una frontera, así que para los tipos que empiezan a trabajar allí, supongo que es difícil distinguir dónde se encuentra la línea realmente (13-03-1996, Estocolmo, Suecia)


LA LÍNEA

Me licenciaron del ejército en Fort Irwin
Cogí un sitio en la línea del condado de San Diego
Fue extraño sentirme civil de nuevo
Había pasado mucho tiempo
Mi mujer había muerto hacía un año
Yo aún intentaba encontrar mi camino de vuelta
Fui a trabajar para el INS en la línea
Con la Patrulla de la Frontera de California

Bobby Ramírez era un veterano de diez años
Y nos hicimos amigos
Su familia era de Guanajuato
Así que el trabajo era diferente para él
Decía: "Arriesgan sus vidas en los desiertos y montañas
Pagan cuanto tienen a las bandas de coyotes
Nosotros les mandamos a casa y ellos regresan de nuevo
Carl, el hambre es una cosa poderosa"

Se me daba bien hacer lo que me mandaban
Mantenía mi uniforme planchado y limpio
Por la noche perseguía sus sombras
A través de arroyos y barrancos
Correos de droga, granjeros con sus familias
Mujeres jóvenes con niños pequeños a su lado
Al caer la noche esperábamos en los cañones
Y tratábamos de evitar que cruzasen la línea

La primera vez que la vi
Iba a ser repatriada
Cruzamos miradas y apartó la vista
Y entonces me miró de nuevo
Su pelo era negro como carbón
Sus ojos me recordaban lo que perdí
Tenía un niño pequeño llorando en sus brazos
Le pregunté: "Señora ¿hay algo que yo pueda hacer?"
Hay un bar en Tijuana
Donde Bobby y yo bebemos junto a la misma gente
Que expulsamos el día anterior
Nos vimos allí, me dijo que se llamaba Luisa
Que era de Sonora y acababa de venir al norte
Bailamos y la rodeé con mis brazos
Y supe lo que yo iba a hacer
Dijo que tenía familia en el condado de Madera
Si ella, su niño y su hermano pequeño
Consiguiesen cruzar

Por la noche vinieron a través del dique
Bajo el brillo difuso de los focos
Les perseguimos en nuestros Broncos
Y les obligamos a retroceder de nuevo hacia el río
Ella subió a mi camioneta
Se inclinó hacia mí y nos besamos
Al conducir, la camisa de su hermano se desabrochó
Y vi la cinta pegada en su pecho
Estábamos llegando a la autopista
Cuando el jeep de Bobby apareció
Entre el polvo a mi derecha
Me detuve y dejé el motor en marcha
Y salí, alumbrado por sus faros
Sentí como me movía
Sentí la pistola sujeta bajo mi mano
Nos quedamos allí mirándonos fijamente
Mientras, a través del arroyo, ella huyó

Bobby Ramírez nunca dijo nada
Seis meses después dejé la línea
Me desvié hacia el valle central
Tomando el trabajo que encontraba
Por la noche recorrí  los bares locales
Y los pueblos de inmigrantes
Buscando a mi Luisa
Con su larga cabellera negra



Freehold - 1996

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario