Vistas de página en total

martes, 20 de noviembre de 2012

REMEMBER WHEN THE MUSIC


REMEMBER WHEN THE MUSIC

[Spoken intro]
How you doin'? I met Harry in 1978, I was in a studio, he was making a record in another studio. He came smiling up to me and started talking to me. And 20 minutes went by, 30 minutes went by... He talked about everything, politics, music -- he's nice guy, well. Next night I came in, Harry comes bounding up smiling again, starts talking to me... 30 minutes goes by. So finally, I used to try to hide from him. I'd come in, I'd ask the secretary if Harry was in the lobby, you know, and I'd sneak into the studio. So we went out to California to mix and I'm standing on this balcony, third floor of this motel. And I hear 'Hey, hey !", I looked down and here is Harry, and he starts talking to me. He talks to me for about 40 minutes, standing down there looking up. He was trying to get me to do something, you know. And he said one thing that I always remembered, he said "Gee, you know, I play one night for me and one night for the other guy." And later on when I was trying to put my music to some pragmatic use, I remembered what he said. Not being bent to extremism, I wasn't as generous as he was, but he's probably laughing, laughing right now anyway. I'll do this for him.

Remember when the music came
From wooden boxes strung with silver wire
And as we sang the words would set our hearts on fire
To believe in things and so we'd sing

Remember when the music brought us all together
To stand inside the rain
And as we'd join hands we'd meet in the refrain
With dreams to live and hope to give

Remember when the music was the best
What we'd dreamed of for our children's time
And as we worked we sang
'Cause we knew time was just a lie
A gift to save, a gift that future gave

Remember when the music was a rock
That we could cling to so we'd not despair
And as we sang we knew we'd hear an echo in the air
And if we weren't smiling then we'd smile again

And all the times I'd listen and all the times I heard
And all the melodies I'm missin' and all the magic words
All the beautiful voices and the choices we had then
I hope to find we got those kind of choices once again

[Spoken interlude:]
I remember when Sandy sent me this tape, I listened to it and I said, "Gee, this is a little on the corny side." And I sat down and I tried to think what the song was about, and I guess there was a time when people felt that music provided you with a greater, oh, a greater sense of unity, a greater sense of shared vision and purpose than it does today. And my generation, we were the generation that was gonna change the world, that somehow we were gonna make it a little less lonely, a little less hungry, a little more just place. But it seems that when... When that promise slipped through our hands we didn't replace it with nothing but, but lost faith, and now we live in, uh, times are pretty shattered, I got my music, you've got yours, the guy down the street, he's got his, and you could kind of sit back and say, not cynically but truthfully, "Well, maybe, maybe all men are not brothers, and maybe we won't ever know who or what we really are to each other." But I think Harry instinctively knew that it was gonna take a lot more than just love to survive; that it was gonna take a strong sense of purpose, of duty, and a good clear eye on the dirty ways of the world. So in keeping, in keeping his promise to himself, he reminds us of our promise to ourselves, and that tonight, alongside Harry, it's that promise that his spirit would have us remember and honor and recommit to. So do something, and may his song be sung.

Remember when the music was a glow
On the horizon of a new born day
And as we sang the sun come up
And chase the dark away
And life was good for we knew we could

Remember when the music brought the night
Across the valley as the day went down
And as we hum the melody
We'd be safe inside the sound
And so we'd sleep to awake
With dreams and promises to keep


RECUERDA CUANDO LA MÚSICA

[Introducción]
¿Qué tal? Conocí a Harry en 1978, yo estaba en un estudio y él grababa un disco en el otro. Se me acercó sonriendo y empezó a hablar. Y pasaron 20 minutos, pasaron 30 minutos… habló de todo, política, música… era un buen tipo. La noche siguiente vine y Harry se acercó sonriendo de nuevo y empezó a hablarme… pasaron 30 minutos. Así que, finalmente, solía intentar esconderme de él. Yo llegaba, le preguntaba a la secretaria si Harry estaba por el vestíbulo, ya sabéis, y me escondía en el estudio. Así que salimos a California para mezclar y yo estaba en el balcón del tercer piso de un motel. Y oigo ‘¡Hey, hey!’ Miré abajo y allí estaba Harry, y empezó a hablarme. Me habló durante unos 40 minutos, allí abajo, mirando hacia arriba. Trataba de conseguir que yo hiciera algo, ya sabéis. Y dijo algo que siempre recuerdo, dijo: ‘Colega, sabes, yo toco una noche para mí y una noche para el otro tío’. Y más tarde, cuando trataba de darle a mi música un uso pragmático, recordé lo que dijo. Sin ser extremista, yo no era tan generoso como él, pero probablemente ahora esté sonriendo de todas formas.
Ésta va por él.


Recuerda cuando la música surgía
De cajas de madera con cuerdas plateadas
Y al cantar, las letras nos encendían los corazones                                   
Para creer en cosas y así poder cantar

Recuerda cuando la música nos reunía a todos juntos 
Resistiendo bajo la lluvia                                
Y al unir las manos nos encontrábamos en el estribillo                
Con sueños que vivir y esperanza que dar

Recuerda cuando la música era lo mejor
Lo que soñábamos para el futuro de nuestros hijos
Y al trabajar cantábamos
Porque sabíamos que el tiempo era sólo una mentira
Un regalo que preservar, un regalo que ofrecía el futuro

Recuerda cuando la música era una roca
A la que agarrarse para no desesperarnos
Y al cantar sabíamos que oiríamos un eco en el aire
Y si no estábamos ya sonriendo, sonreíamos de nuevo

Sí, y siempre escucho, y siempre oigo
Y las melodías que añoro y todas las mágicas palabras
Todas las voces hermosas y oportunidades que tuvimos
Espero descubrir este tipo de oportunidades otra vez

[Intermedio]
Recuerdo cuando Sandy me envió esta grabación, la escuché y dije ‘Tío, esto suena un poco cursi’ Y me senté y traté de pensar sobre qué iba la canción, y supongo que hubo un tiempo en el que la gente sentía que la música le aportaba un mayor, un mayor sentimiento de unidad, un mayor sentido de visión compartida y un propósito de lo que hace hoy en día. Y mi generación, éramos la generación que iba a cambiar el mundo, que de algún modo íbamos a hacerlo algo menos solitario, algo menos ambicioso, un lugar algo más justo. Pero parece que cuando… cuando esa promesa se esfumó, nuestras manos no la reemplazaron con nada más que fe perdida, y ahora vivimos unos tiempos bastante convulsos, yo tengo mi música, vosotros la vuestra, el chico de la calle la suya, y podéis sentaros y decir, no cínicamente, sino de corazón ‘Bueno, quizá, quizá no todos los hombres sean hermanos’, y quizá nunca llegaremos a saber quién o qué somos realmente, pero yo creo que Harry, instintivamente, sabía que haría falta mucho más que amor para sobrevivir; que haría falta un fuerte sentimiento de compromiso, de deber, y una visión clara en los sucios caminos del mundo. Así que manteniendo, manteniendo esa promesa a sí mismo, nos recuerda nuestra propia promesa, y esta noche, allá donde estés Harry, es la promesa que su espíritu nos haría recordar y honrar y honorarla. Así que hagamos algo, y cantemos su canción.

Recuerda cuando la música era un resplandor
En el horizonte de un nuevo día
Y mientras cantábamos el sol se alzaba
Y alejaba la oscuridad
Y la vida era bella porque sabíamos que podríamos

Recuerda cuando la música traía la noche
Por todo el valle mientras el día decaía
Y al tararear la melodía
Estábamos a salvo en el sonido
Y así dormíamos para despertar
Con sueños y promesas que mantener


* Canción escrita por Harry Chapin en 1981. Interpretada por Bruce Springsteen el 7 de diciembre de 1987 en el Carnegie Hall de New York City, NY, en un acto en el que se le concedió a título póstumo la  medalla de oro especial del Congreso por su actitud social por todo el mundo. Fue publicada oficialmente en 1990 en el disco Harry Chapin Tribute, también editado en DVD.


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario