Vistas de página en total

sábado, 10 de noviembre de 2012

JOHNNY 99

* Well, the President was mentioning my name in his speech the other day and I kind of got to wondering what his favorite album of mine must’ve been, you know...I don’t think it was the Nebraska-album, I don’t think he’s been listening to this one... (21-09-1984, Pittsburgh, PA)

** They closed up the plant, it was about five years ago. Took about 2,000 of us out on the street looking for a job and I went looking for about six months and we run out of our savings and I went down to the bank that was about to foreclose on the mortgage of the house and he tried to tell me that he knew how I felt....I said ´Well, you walk around that desk and you sit in this chair and you walk in those shoes for a while’
(25-11-1984, Dallas, TX)


JOHNNY 99

Well they closed down the auto plant
In Mahwah late that month
Ralph went out lookin' for a job
But he couldn't find none
He came home too drunk from mixin'
Tanqueray and wine
He got a gun shot a night clerk
Now they call'm Johnny 99

Down in the part of town
Where when you hit a red light you don't stop
Johnny's wavin' his gun around
And threatenin' to blow his top
When an off duty cop snuck up on him from behind
Out in front of the Club Tip Top
They slapped the cuffs on Johnny 99

Well the city supplied a public defender
But the judge was Mean John Brown
He came into the courtroom
And stared young Johnny down
Well the evidence is clear
Gonna let the sentence son fit the crime
Prison for 98 and a year
And we'll call it even Johnny 99

A fistfight broke out in the courtroom
They had to drag Johnny's girl away
His mama stood up and shouted
"Judge don't take my boy this way"
“Well son you got a statement you'd like to make
Before the bailiff comes to forever take you away”

“Now judge, judge I had debts
No honest man could pay
The bank was holdin' my mortgage
And they was takin' my house away
Now I ain't sayin' that makes me an innocent man
But it was more 'n all this
That put that gun in my hand
Well your honor I do believe I'd be better off dead
And if you can take a man's life
For the thoughts that's in his head
Then won't you sit back in that chair
And think it over judge one more time
And let 'em shave off my hair
And put me on that execution line”


* Bien, el Presidente estuvo mencionando mi nombre en su discurso el otro día y no puedo dejar que preguntarme cuál será su disco favorito de los míos, sabéis…no creo que sea el disco Nebraska, no creo que haya escuchado ésta...
(21-09-1984, Pittsburgh, PA)

** Cerraron la planta hace unos cinco años. Eso supuso para unos 2000 de nosotros quedarse en la calle buscando trabajo y estuve buscando durante unos seis meses hasta que gastamos todos los ahorros y me dirigí al banco que se disponía a ejecutar nuestra hipoteca de la casa y él intentó decirme que sabía como me sentía…dije ‘Entonces, salga de detrás de ese escritorio y siéntese en esta silla y camine con estos zapatos un momento’
(25-11-1984, Dallas, TX)


JOHNNY 99

Al final cerraron la planta de coches
En Mahwah el pasado mes
Ralph salió en busca de trabajo
Pero no pudo encontrar nada
Regresó a casa borracho tras mezclar
Tanqueray con vino
Le disparó a un empleado nocturno
Ahora le llaman Johnny 99

En esa parte de la ciudad
Donde al encontrar un semáforo en rojo no paras
Johnny iba intimidando con su pistola
Y amenazando con volarse la cabeza
Cuando un poli fuera de servicio le sorprendió por detrás
Y justo delante del Club Tip Top
Le pusieron las esposas a Johnny 99

La ciudad proporcionó un defensor público
Pero el juez era Malvado John Brown
Entró en la sala del tribunal
Y miró al joven Johnny fijamente
“Bien, las pruebas son claras
Fijemos la sentencia adecuada por el crimen
Prisión por 98 años y un día
Y así le llamaremos Johnny 99”

Una pelea a puñetazos estalló en el tribunal
Sacaron a la chica de Johnny a rastras de allí
Su madre se puso en pie y gritó
"Juez, no me quiten a mi hijo así”
“¿Bien, hijo, hay alguna declaración que quieras hacer
Antes que el alguacil venga para llevarte para siempre?”

“Mire, juez, juez, tenía deudas que
Ningún hombre honrado podría pagar
El banco estaba cancelando mi hipoteca
Y se estaban llevando mi casa de aquí
No estoy diciendo que haga de mí un hombre inocente
Pero fue más que todo eso
Que puso la pistola en mi mano
Mire, Señoría, de verdad creo que estaría mejor muerto
Y si puede quitar la vida a un hombre
Por los pensamientos que hay en su cabeza
Así ¿por qué no se sienta de nuevo en esa silla
Y reflexiona bien sobre todo esto una vez más?
Y deje que me afeiten la cabeza
Y me pongan en esa fila de ejecución”


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario