Vistas de página en total

sábado, 10 de noviembre de 2012

GROWIN' UP

GROWIN' UP

I stood stone-like at midnight, suspended in my masquerade
I combed my hair till it was just right, and commanded the night brigade
I was open to pain and crossed by the rain, and I walked on a crooked crutch
I strolled all alone through a fallout zone, came out with my soul untouched
I hid in the clouded wrath of the crowd, when they said
"Sit down" I stood up
Ooh, ooh, growin' up

The flag of piracy flew from my mast, my sails were set wing to wing
I had a jukebox graduate for a first mate, she couldn't sail but she sure could sing
I pushed B-52, bombed 'em with the blues, with my gear set stubborn on standing
I broke all the rules, strafed my old high school, never once gave thought to landing
I hid in the clouded wrath of the crowd, when they said
"Come down" I threw up
Ooh, ooh, growin' up

(*) (**) (***) (****) (*****)

I took month-long vacations in the stratosphere, and you know it's really hard to hold your breath
I swear I lost everything I ever loved or feared
¡I was the cosmic kid in full costume dress! 
Well, my feet they finally took root in the earth, but I got me a nice little place in the stars
And I swear I found the key to the universe in the engine of an old parked car
I hid in the mother breast of the crowd, when they said "Pull down" I pulled up
Ooh, ooh, growin' up



(*) There I was. It was a stormy, stormy night in Asbury Park, New Jersey. A northeaster was blowing in, rattling all the lamp-posts and washing Kingsley Avenue clean, and me and Steve were in a little club down the south end of town, when suddenly the door lifted open and blew off down the street and a large shadow of a man stepped into the back room beside the door. I looked. King Curtis? King Curtis has come out of my dreams and landed right here in centra -- no. Junior Walker? No. Walked to the stage, said...“I want to play with you” What could I say?  I said, “sure!” And he put the saxophone to his lips, and I heard...something as cool as a river. Now Clarence, work hard, put a little effort in! And I heard that force of nature coming out of there and the end of the night, we just looked at each other and went...
[Born to Run album cover pose]
We got in a car, big long Cadillac, drove through the woods on the outskirts of town and we got very sleepy, and we fell into this long, long, long, long dream and when we woke up, we were in fuckin' Buffalo, New York (22-11-2009, Buffalo, N.Y.)


(**) The big day, when I was looking at town in New York, going to auditions with big record company, to get that CBS label. But my manager and my lawyer were getting on the audition elevator... special elevator, more heights. I was shooting up through the clouds. Passing the stars, passing all the planets. Finally I get up, the doors all open up, they frisk me a few times, and then at this big solid gold desk, wearing a long red robe, with this little wreath around his head, was Clive Davis. Little angels taking notes, flying all around. I said, "Mr. Davis, I wanna be a rock and roll star." I said first, "You're hearing my confession." And he said, "Sign here." And I put my name on that line, and... (30-09-1976, Santa Monica, CA)


(***) I think, I ain't sure, but I think my mother and father and my sister, they're here again tonight. Hey, are you guys out there? You're over there? For six years, they've been following me around California, trying to get me to come back home. Hey Ma! Give it up, Ma! Give me a break! They're over there somewhere. But you know, they're still trying to get me to go back to college. Every time I come in the house, "You know, it's not too late, you can still go back to college," they tell me. I say, "Alright, alright, Ma". But it's funny, 'cause when I was growin' up, there were two things that were unpopular in my house. One was me, and the other one was my guitar. And my father, he used to sit in the kitchen. And we had this grate, like the heat's supposed to come through, except it wasn't hooked up to any, any like, heating ducts. It was just open, straight down to the kitchen. And there was a gas stove right underneath it. And when I used to start playing, he used to turn on the gas jets and try to smoke me out of my room. I'd end up out on the, out on the roof or something, you know. And he used to always refer to this guitar, you know, never "Fender guitar", "Gibson guitar", it was always the "goddamned guitar", you know. Whenever he stuck his head into my door, that's all I'd hear: "Turn down the goddamned guitar." You know. He used to try to get me to be a lawyer. And it was funny 'cause I was in a motorcycle accident when I was 17. And like, this cat just, you know, ran head on into me and then got out and yelled at me for ruining his Cadillac. And we had like a suit, a legal suit. And my father took me down to this lawyer in town. His name was Billy Boyle, and he later became mayor, which, uh, and anyway, I went down there, and he looked at me, he said, "Oh man, I gotta defend this?" I looked about, just about exactly the same way I look right now. And like I remember, we were going to court, right? The day of the suit. Like I got, I'm like in the right! I just got hit, and my leg's messed up. And I remember my lawyer telling me, "If I was the judge, I'd find you guilty!" You know? I don't know for what. For being, just for being there, I guess, you know. And I said... But anyway, my father always said "You know, you should be a lawyer. You know, you get, get a little something for yourself." You know? Then my mother, you know, she used to say "No, no, no, no. He should be, he should be an author. He should write books. You know, you should... That's a good life, you can get a little something for yourself." Well, like, what they didn't understand was, was that I wanted everything. And so you guys, you, one of you guys wanted a lawyer, and the other one wanted an author. Well, tonight, youse are both just gonna have to settle for Rock 'N' Roll. (07-07-1978, West Hollywood, CA)

(****) This went on all through high school, and it was then that my parents and the local police force decided that I was more than nothing with a whole lotta hair. I was definitely a big pain in the ass. So they decided to hunt me down, and they knew at the time I was haunting the arcades of Asbury Park, and one night, they cornered me up on top of the ferris wheel. I jumped down onto the roof of the Palace Amusements, jumped down out on the Kingsley Avenue, hit Asbury Avenue and started making a beeline to the Route 35 Circle. And by this time I had Asbury Park police force after me, and I had the state cops. Finally I got on the New Jersey Turnpike, and I was hustling down the road, remember that, and they called out, everybody, they called out the National Guard! I think they called out, they called out the Army, too! The Navy, the Marines, and any Cub Scout they could find. I had 'em all on my trail, and they were getting on me, they were getting on me, and all of a sudden, up around Exit 109, a black Sedan pulled over, and I looked through the window onto the front seat, and laying on the floor was a saxophone.
I remember he rolled down the window, he said, "Hey, kid, what did you do?" I said, "I'm a werewolf, man, teenage variety." He says, "Well, I don't know what that is but I like your style, and if you need a ride, hop in." So I hopped in, I said, "Man, put this thing to the floor." Clarence jammed to the floor and man, we must've, we must've, we must've been doing 55! (We've got to stop!) We were tearing it up! And all I heard from behind me was the chief of the Asbury police force sticking his head out the window of car number 1 with a megaphone saying, "Stop that man with the gold guitar!"
(15-08-1978, Largo, MD)

(*****) Now there I was. I was still in high school, but I wasn't doing too good. I was doing bad in my studies and they sent me down to see the guidance counselor, and I walked in and he said, "Mr. Springsteen, what seems to be your problem?" So I said, "Well, Sir, it's like, you see, I don't have any interest in anything, I don't know what I want to do with myself, I don't care what's going on around me, I ain't got any faith, I don't have any hope in anything, I don't have any close interpersonal relationship with a member of the opposite sex, I don't have, uh..." He said, "Oh, that's, that's too big a problem, you better go home and talk to your folks about it." So I went home and I went in the kitchen and my Pop was in there and I said, "Pop, man, I got sent home from school, I been in a lot of trouble lately and, I really gotta talk to you about something. I don't know what's gonna happen with me, I don't, I don't have any interest in anything, I daydream in class all the time and I don't have any faith in anything, in myself, I don't have any hope in anything," and he said, "Will you get me another beer out of the icebox?" So that was it. I decided I was gonna do myself in. I was gonna end it all. I was gonna say, "Goodbye cruel world." Yeah! So I got out and I hitchhiked down to Asbury Park, I was gonna jump in the ocean and drown myself. I was sitting there on the boardwalk, contemplating the water temperature, when all of a sudden, in the distance, this big handsome dude came walking. He kind of sat down next to me, I started saying my prayers, but we kind of got talking. I was telling him all about my problems, then he started telling me all about his problems, then we cried on each other's shoulder for a while. But we decided that we'd make a good team and we became partners. That's right, that's right, that's right. And Clarence, he said that he knew a gypsy lady that could help us out with our troubles, so over to the gypsy we went. It was late at night, the boardwalk was deserted. We walked in. We paid our 2.50 each, I had to loan Clarence his 2.50, and she looked into the crystal ball and she said, "You boys are in a lot of trouble." Paid another 2.50. I didn't get it back yet, either. And we looked, she looked into the crystal ball and then she said, "You boys are gonna go on a real long trip. You're gonna seek out new forms of life. You're gonna explore new worlds. You're gonna go where no men have ever gone before, and stay twice as long, and have a lot of fun doing it too." And she gave us a map to the secret of the world and she said if we followed that map at midnight, we'd find the answers to all our troubles. So that night we got into Clarence's Oldsmobile and we started driving south down Route 9, south through the rain, down through Lakewood, down through Freehold, down through Toms River, and a hurricane hit, and then a tornado blew across the highway, and then a blizzard hit, and then a heat wave broke, and then the, the roof flew off the car, and then we got two flat tires, and then the fenders flew off, and then the engine block cracked, and then the carburetor went, and then the windows blew out, and then and then and then....the radio broke! You know what that's like! But there we were, on the side of this dark dirt road, and according to the map what we were looking for was just on the other side of those woods. So into the forest we went. It was spooky in there. There were sounds coming from all over the place, sounded like werewolves. Sounded like homicidal cows. Sounded like mad dogs barking. Sounded like the Jersey Devil out there! And, now, Big Man, I ain't ever heard of no killer beasts, like, in New Jersey or nothing, did you? No? I heard of, like, killer hamburgers, but I didn't know killer beasts. I think we're safe out here, don't you? Yeah. We're alright. I think I hear something behind us. I think I hear something behind us. I think I hear something behind us. Clarence, oh, Clarence. [Bruce and Clarence whimper] Whooa! And all of a sudden up behind us came these two big man-eating bears, but instead of jumping on us and making us their dinner, they were acting kind of friendly, and they said that they weren't mean, but that they were just lonely, and that they'd been out in the woods for a long time by themselves after they escaped from the circus 'cause they got tired of living in them cages, and they say that if we'd be their friends, that they'd help us find what we were looking for. And so back into the forest we went. And all of a sudden the clouds pulled away from the moon, and there in a clearing we saw the answer to our quest. And then we said goodbye to the bears for the last time. And as we stood there in the moonlight we knew that everything was gonna be alright, because, because, when we touched... (02-10-1985, Los Angeles)


CRECIENDO

Estaba como una piedra a medianoche, suspendido en mi mascarada
Me peiné el pelo hasta quedar perfecto y comandé la brigada nocturna
Estaba expuesto al dolor y atravesado por la lluvia y caminaba con una muleta torcida
Deambulé solo por una zona de lluvia radioactiva y salí con mi alma intacta
Me escondí en nublada ira de la multitud pero cuando dijeron "Siéntate" yo me levanté
Oooh, creciendo

La bandera pirata ondeaba en mi mástil, mis velas estaban totalmente desplegadas
Tenía una licencia como primer oficial en jukebox, no podía navegar pero sin duda podía cantar
Lancé un B-52 y les bombardeé con el blues, con mi caja de cambios en posición fija
Rompí todas las reglas, cañoneé mi viejo instituto, ni una sola vez pensé en desembarcar
Me escondí en la nublada ira de la multitud pero cuando dijeron "Baja", yo salté
Ooooh, creciendo

(*) (**) (***) (****) (*****)

Me fui un mes de vacaciones a la estratosfera y ya sabes que es muy difícil mantener la respiración
Te juro que perdí todo lo que amaba o temía
¡Era el chico cósmico completamente disfrazado!
Al final mis pies echaron raíces en la tierra pero tengo un bonito lugar en las estrellas
Y juro que encontré la llave del Universo en el motor de un viejo coche aparcado
Me escondí en el abrazo materno de la multitud pero cuando dijeron "Baja" yo subí
Ooooh, creciendo

 (*) Allí estaba yo. Era una tormentosa, tormentosa noche en Asbury Park, New Jersey. Soplaba un viento del norte, golpeando todas las farolas y limpiando toda la Avenida Kingsley y Steve y yo estábamos en un pequeño club al sur de la ciudad, cuando de repente la puerta se abrió de golpe y voló calle abajo y la larga sombra de un hombre entró en la sala junto a la puerta. Miré. ¿King Curtis? King Curtis ha salido de mis sueños y ha aterrizado justo aquí en centra… no
¿Junior Walker? No. Se acercó al escenario, y dijo:
“Quiero tocar con vosotros” ¿Qué podía decir?  Dije: “¡Por supuesto!” Y se puso el saxofón en sus labios, y oí...algo tan frío como un río. Ahora, Clarence, ¡esfuérzate un poco!
Y oí esa fuerza de la naturaleza que salía de allí y al final de la noche, nos miramos el uno al otro y fuimos...  [pose “portada Born to Run”] Nos metimos en un coche, un gran Cadillac, atravesamos los bosques de las afueras de la ciudad y teníamos mucho sueño, y caímos en este largo, largo, largo, largo sueño y al levantarnos, ¡estábamos en la jodida Buffalo, New York! (22-11-2009, Buffalo, N.Y.)

(**) Un gran día, cuando me dirigía a la ciudad de Nueva York, para una audición con una gran compañía de discos, y entrar en CBS…pero mi mánager y mi abogado me subieron en el ascensor de las audiciones, un ascensor especial, de más pisos. Fui disparado a través de las nubes. Pasando las estrellas, pasando todos los planetas. Finalmente llegué arriba, las puertas se abrieron, me cachearon varias veces y después, tras un gran escritorio dorado, vestido con una toga roja, con una pequeña corona en la cabeza, estaba Clive Davis. Angelitos tomando notas, volaban alrededor. Y dije: "Sr. Davis, quiero ser una estrella de rock and roll." Antes dije: "Está escuchando mi confesión." Y él dijo "Firma aquí." Y puse mi nombre en ese papel, y... (30-09-1976, Santa Mónica, CA)


(***) Creo, no estoy seguro, pero creo que mi madre y mi padre y mi hermana están de nuevo aquí esta noche. ¿Estáis ahí? ¿Estáis por ahí? Durante seis años me han estado siguiendo por California, intentando hacerme regresar a casa. ¡Hey, Mamá, déjalo! ¡Dame un respiro! Están por ahí en alguna parte. Pero sabéis, todavía intentan hacerme volver a la universidad. Cada vez que llego a casa “Sabes, no es demasiado tarde, aú puedes volver a la universidad” me dicen y yo digo “Muy bien, mamá”. Pero es curioso, porque cuando estaba creciendo había dos cosas impopulares en casa. Una era yo, y la otra era mi guitarra. Y mi padre, solía sentarse en la cocina, y teníamos una parrilla, por la que se suponía que salía el calor, excepto que no estaba conectada a ninguna tubería de ventilación. Sólo estaba abierta, directamente a la cocina. Y había un horno de gas justo debajo. Y cuando yo empezaba a tocar, él solía abrir el gas intentando hacerme salir de la habitación. Yo acababa saliendo, saliendo al tejado, o algo así, ya sabéis. Y solía referirse siempre a esta guitarra, sabéis, nunca ‘guitarra Fender’ ó ‘guitarra Gibson’, siempre era ‘la maldita guitarra’. Siempre que asomaba su cabeza a mi habitación, esto era lo que oía: “apaga la maldita guitarra”. Siempre intentaba conseguir que yo me hiciera abogado. Y fue curioso porque tuve un accidente de moto cuando tenía 17 años. Y un tipo corrió directo hacia mí y salió gritándome por destrozarle su Cadillac. Y tuvimos una demanda legal. Y mi padre me llevó a un abogado de la ciudad. Su nombre era Billy Bole, y más tarde fue alcalde y …bueno, me  fui allí y me miró y dijo: “Oh, señor, ¿tengo que defender esto?” Yo tenía justo el mismo aspecto que tengo ahora, y, según recuerdo, nos dirigimos al juzgado el día del litigio, porque yo tenía todo el derecho, yo me había golpeado y me dolían las piernas, y recuerdo a mi abogado diciéndome: “Si yo fuera el juez, te declararía culpable” Pero no sé porqué. Por estar, sólo por estar allí, supongo, ya sabéis…Pero sea como sea,, mi padre siempre decía: “Deberías ser abogado. Ya sabes, labrarte un buen futuro” Y mi madre solía decir: “No, no, no, no, debería ser escritor. Debería escribir libros. Sabes, deberías, es una buena vida, y podría ser un buen futuro para ti” Bueno, lo que no comprendían era que, que yo lo quería todo. Así que si uno quería un abogado y el otro un escritor, bueno, esta noche ambos tendréis que conformaros con el Rock & Roll…
(07-07-1978, West Hollywood, CA)


(****) Esto ocurrió durante el Instituto y fue cuando mis padres y las fuerzas de la policía local decidieron que yo no era más que un tipo con un montón de pelo. Definitivamente, era un grano en el culo. Así que decidieron darme caza y sabían que por entonces, yo rondaba las máquinas recreativas de Asbury Park, y una noche, me arrinconaron encima de la noria. Yo salté sobre el techo del Palace Amusements, salté hacia Kingsley Avenue, cogí la Asbury Avenue y me fui directamente a la Route 35 Circle. Y por entonces, ya tenía a las fuerzas de la policía local de Asbury Park detrás de mí y a la policía estatal. Finalmente llegué a la New Jersey Turnpike, y ya había cogido la carretera, y recuerdo que llamaron a todo el mundo…¡llamaron incluso a la Guardia Nacional! Creo que incluso llamaron…¡llamaron a la Armada también! La Marina, los Marines y cualquier Cub Scout que pudieron encontrar. Los tenía todos detrás de mí, y me estaban dando alcance, y de repente, cerca de la salida 109, un gran Sedan negro se detuvo y miré por la ventana al asiento delantero y tendido en el suelo había un saxofón. [Solo de saxofón de Clarence]
Recuerdo que bajó la ventanilla y dijo: “Hey chico, ¿qué has hecho?” Y dije: “Soy un hombre lobo, señor, de la especie adolescente” Y dijo: “Bueno, no sé qué significa eso pero me gusta tu estilo y si necesitas que te lleven, puedes subir” Así que subí y dije: “Tío, acelera…” Clarence empezó a acelerar y debíamos de ir a…debíamos de ir a…debíamos de ir a..55! (¡Tuvimos que parar!) ¡Nos lo habíamos cargado! Y todo lo que oí detrás de mí fue al jefe de las fuerzas policiales de Asbury Park asomando su cabeza por la ventanilla del coche número 1 con un megáfono diciendo: “¡Detengan a ese hombre de la guitarra dorada!”
(15-08-1978, Largo, MD)

(*****) Y allí estaba yo. Todavía en el Instituto, pero no me iba muy bien. Iba muy mal en los estudios y me enviaron al consejo de estudios y entré y dijo: “Sr. Springsteen, ¿cuál es su problema?” Así que respondí: “Bien, señor, es que, sabe, no tengo ningún interés en nada, no sé qué quiero hacer conmigo mismo, no me importa lo que ocurre alrededor, no tengo ninguna fe, no tengo esperanza en nada, no tengo ninguna relación personal con otro miembro del sexo opuesto, no tengo…” Dijo: “Oh, eso es un gran, gran problema, así que será mejor que vayas a casa y hables de ello con tus padres” Así que me fui a casa y entré en la cocina y mi padre estaba allí y dije: “Papá, me han enviado del colegio, me he metido en un montón de problemas últimamente y realmente necesito hablar contigo sobre algo. No sé lo que pasará conmigo, no tengo, no tengo ningún interés por nada, me quedo dormido en clase todo el tiempo y no tengo ninguna fe en nada, ni en mí mismo, no tengo ningún tipo de esperanza” y él dijo: “¿ Me pasas otra cerveza de la nevera?” Así fue. Decidí lo que haría conmigo mismo. Iba a acabar con todo. Iba a decir: “Adiós, mundo cruel” ¡Si! Así que salí e hice autostop hasta Asbury Park, iba a saltar al océano y ahogarme. Estaba sentado allí, en el paseo marítimo, midiendo la temperatura del agua, cuando de repente, en la distancia, un tipo muy elegante se acercó caminando. Se sentó amablemente a mi lado, y empecé a rezar pero terminamos conversando. Yo le conté todos mis problemas, y después él empezó a contarme todos sus problemas, y después lloramos sobre el hombro del otro durante un rato. Pero decidimos que hacíamos un buen equipo y nos hicimos socios. Eso es, eso es, eso es. Y Clarence dijo que conocía a una dama gitana que podría ayudarnos con nuestros problemas, así que fuimos a la gitana. Era ya bien entrada la noche, el paseo marítimo estaba desierto. Entramos. Pagamos 2.50 cada uno, Clarence tuvo que prestarme mis 2.50, y ella miró en su bola de cristal y dijo: “Hijos, tenéis un montón de problemas” Pagamos otros 2.50. Todavía no se los he devuelto. Y miramos, ella miró en su bola de cristal y dijo: “Hijos, vais a hacer un largo viaje. Vais a descubrir nuevas formas de vida. Vais a explorar nuevos mundos. Vais a ir a lugares donde nadie ha ido antes, y llegaréis el doble de lejos, y os vais a divertir mucho durante el viaje” Y nos entregó un mapa del secreto del mundo y dijo que si seguíamos ese mapa a medianoche, hallaríamos las respuestas a todos nuestros problemas. Así que esa noche nos subimos al Oldsmobile de Clarence y condujimos hacia el sur por la Route 9, al sur entre la lluvia, pasando el Lakewood, pasando Freehold, pasando Toms River y un huracán nos golpeó, y un tornado atravesó la autopista y después empezó una ventisca y después una ola de calor y después…después…el techo del coche salió volando y después tuvimos dos pinchazos, y después los aleros volaron, y el motor se paró, y el carburador, y las ventanas también volaron, y después, y después, y después…¡la radio se estropeó! ¡Ya sabéis lo que es eso! Pero allí estábamos, en la cuneta de una polvorienta carretera, y de acuerdo con el mapa, lo que buscábamos estaba en la otra parte del bosque. Así que nos metimos en el bosque. Era terrorífico. Había sonidos por todas partes, sonaba como a hombres-lobo. Sonaba como a vacas homicidas. Sonaba como a perros rabiosos ladrando. Sonaba como ¡si el Diablo de Jersey estuviera por allí! Pero, Clarence, nunca he escuchado nada sobre bestias asesinas, como en New Jersey o por aquí ¿y tú? ¿no? Oí sobre hamburguesas asesinas, pero no sobre bestias asesinas. Creo que estaremos a salvo por aquí ¿no crees? Sí. Estaremos bien. Creo que oigo algo detrás de nosotros. Creo que oigo algo detrás de nosotros. Creo que oigo algo detrás de nosotros. Clarence, oh, Clarence. [Bruce y Clarence lloran] Whooa! Y de repente, detrás de nosotros aparecieron dos grandes osos devora-hombres, pero en lugar de abalanzarse sobre nosotros y convertirnos en su cena, se comportaron amistosamente, y dijeron que no eran malos, pero que estaban muy tristes porque habían estado solos en el bosque durante mucho tiempo tras escaparse del circo porque se cansaron de vivir en sus jaulas, y nos dijeron que si nos hacíamos amigos, nos ayudarían a encontrar lo que buscábamos. Así que regresamos al bosque. Y de repente, las nubes se apartaron de la luna y allí, en el claro, hallamos la respuesta a todas nuestras preguntas. Y nos despedimos de los osos por última vez. Y mientras estábamos bajo la luz de la luna, supimos que todo saldría bien..porque…porque..al tocar… (02-10-1985, Los Angeles)



1978


1985


2009




1972





2006 - Seeger Sessions Band


 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario