Vistas de página en total

lunes, 19 de noviembre de 2012

THE E STREET SHUFFLE


* Did I tell you how I, how I ran into this guy here? No? Well, the way, the way I met this kid was, it was like, I don't know if I should tell, it was like, 3 in the morning, 3:30, right? In Asbury Park. Bring the band down a little bit. And all the bars closed, all the bars closed down. And it was a night, it was a night like last night, except it was raining like crazy, like, the wind was blowing, it was raining, and I was out, you know, down by the Prince. You know where that, remember that? I was down by this place, it's called the prince. And I was walking down the street. And there's nobody else out on the street, it's, it's windy, the rain's coming down, and I got my jacket, my other one, this, this is my fancy jacket, you see. I got my other jacket, all bundled up, you know, cool, I was hustling down the street. And, and way 'bout, about three blocks down, you know, way down the street, I see this, this, this, this form coming towards me. So it gets a little closer, and there's this cat, what, you know, and he gets a little closer, and I say, "Well, I, I don't wanna take any chances, I'm gonna, you know," so I cross the street, I didn't even walk on the same side. And I, wait, when I crossed the street, he crossed the street. So, I tried to, I tried to make believe I didn't notice, and I sort of, like, tried to nonchalantly cross the street again! He crossed the street again. He's getting, he's getting closer all the time. And about a block away was this guy.  I mean, it's windy, it's like, like eighty mile-per-hour gale force winds, right? And down the end of the street, here comes this guy dressed in a white suit, right? With a walking stick, a cane, a white hat, with a hot top button leather coat thrown over his shoulders, walking real slow in my direction. So we got closer, then we got about half a block away. I was getting really scared, so I jumped in the doorway, and I figured I was gonna stand there, let him pass me by. But this guy walks up, stands right in front of the doorway where I'm standing. Right? Puts out his hand, you know. So, I took all the money out of my pockets, threw it on the ground, took my coat off, threw that on the ground. This guy didn't budge, right? Didn't budge an inch. Just standing there with his hand out. Diamond-studded cane. So, slowly I sorta eased my hand down to his, you know. Slowly I eased, eased it down, and, and, and, what happened when we, when we touched…
(05-02-1975, Bryn Mawr, PA)


THE E STREET SHUFFLE

Sparks fly on E Street when the boy prophets walk it handsome and hot
All the little girls' souls grow weak when the man-child gives them a double shot
Them schoolboy pops pull out all the stops on a Friday night
Them teenage tramps in skin-tight pants do the E Street dance and everything's all right
Well, the kids down there either dancin' or hooked up in a scuffle
Dressed in snake-skin suits packed with Detroit muscle
They're doin' the E Street Shuffle

Now those E Street brats in twilight duel flashlight phantoms in full star stream
Down fire trails on silver nights with blonde girls pledged sweet sixteen
The newsboys say the heat's been bad since Power Thirteen gave a trooper all he had in a summer scuffle
And Power's girl, Little Angel, been on the corner keepin' those crazy boys out of trouble
Little Angel steps the shuffle like she ain't got no brains
She's deaf in combat down on Lover's Lane
She drives all them local boys insane
Yes, she does

Little Angel say
"Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh
(Whoa, oh, oh, oh, everybody form a line)
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh (oh, oh, oh, oh, oh)
Oh, everybody form a line"

When the sparks light on E Street when the boy-prophets walk it handsome and hot
All them little girls' souls grow weak when the man-child gives them a double shot
Oh, Little Angel hangs out at Easy Joe's, it's a club where all the riot squad goes when they're cashin' in for a cheap hustle
But them boys are still on the corner loose and doin' that lazy E Street Shuffle
And as them sweet summer nights turn into summer dreams
Little Angel picks up Power and he slips on his jeans
And they move on out down to the scene
All the kids are dancin'



* ¿Os he contado cómo, cómo me encontré con este tío? ¿No? Bueno, la forma, la forma que encontré a este tipo, eran como…no sé si debería contarlo, eran como las 3 de la madrugada, 3:30, ¿verdad? En Asbury Park. Parad la banda un momento. Y todos los bares cerrados, todos los bares cerrados. Y era una noche, una noche como la pasada, excepto que llovía a cántaros, soplaba el viento, llovía y yo estaba en la calle, junto al Prince. ¿Sabéis dónde estaba, lo recordáis? Yo estaba delante de ese lugar llamado The Prince. Y bajaba caminando por la calle. Y no había nadie más en toda la calle, y hacía viento, la lluvia caía, y yo tenía mi chaqueta, la otra...esta es mi chaqueta buena…llevaba la otra chaqueta, toda arrugada, ya sabéis, muy chula, iba paseando por la calle. Y, pasados unos tres bloques, sabéis, bajando la calle, veo esta…esta…esta forma que se me acercaba. Así que se acerca un poco más, y está este tipo, bueno…acercándose más, y digo: “Bueno, creo que no tengo ninguna opción. Voy a…sabéis…” así que crucé la calle, no quería caminar por la misma acera. Y yo, espera… cuando cruzo la calle, él también cruza la calle. Así que intenté hacer ver que no me había dado cuenta, y así, despreocupadamente, cruzo la calle otra vez…y él también cruza de nuevo. Y se acerca, y se acerca cada vez más. Y un bloque más allá estaba ese tipo. Y seguía soplando el viento, como a unas ochenta millas por hora ¿verdad? Y al final de la calle, aparece este tipo, vestido con traje blanco, ¿verdad? Con un bastón para caminar, un sombrero blanco, con una chaqueta de cuero con botones sobre sus hombros, caminando muy despacio en mi dirección. Así que nos fuimos acercando, y después se quedó a medio bloque de distancia. Me estaba asustando realmente, así que salté al interior de un portal, y pensaba quedarme allí y dejarle pasar. Pero el tío llega, se queda delante del portal donde me escondo. ¿Verdad? Saca una mano, ya sabéis. Así que me saco todo el dinero de los bolsillos, lo tiro al suelo, me quito el abrigo, lo tiro al suelo. Pero el tío no se inmuta ¿verdad? No se inmuta ni un ápice. Sólo está allí de pie, con su mano alzada. Sujetando su bastón de diamantes. Así que, lentamente, trato de darle la mano, ya sabéis. Lentamente, me acerco, me acerco, y, y, y, lo que ocurrió cuando…cuando contactamos…  
(05-02-1975, Bryn Mawr, PA)

EL PASO DE LA CALLE E

Saltan chispas en la Calle E cuando los jóvenes profetas pasean ardientes y elegantes
Todas las almas de las chicas caen rendidas cuando el jovenzuelo les da un trago doble
Los padres de alumnos se saltan las señales un viernes noche
Jóvenes errantes en ceñidos pantalones de piel marcan el baile de la Calle E y todo es perfecto
Los chicos de la zona ó están bailando ó metiéndose en peleas
Vestidos con pieles de serpiente pasean en deportivos de Detroit marcando el paso de la Calle E 

Osados de la Calle E en duelos crepusculares se lucen como sombras en oleadas de estrellas
Por rutas de fuego en noches plateadas con dulces rubias prometidas de dieciséis años
Los informantes dicen que se ha complicado desde que Power Thirteen se ensañó con un agente en una pelea de verano
Y la novia de Power, Little Angel, vigila en la esquina para que los chiflados no se metan en problemas
Little Angel marca el paso como una descerebrada
Se quedó sorda en el combate de Lover's Lane
Provocando la locura entre los chicos
Así es

Little Angel ordena
"Oh, oh, oh, oh
(Oh, oh, oh, todo el mundo a formar)”
"Oh, oh, oh, oh (oh, oh, oh, oh)
Todo el mundo a formar”

Saltan chispas en la Calle E cuando los jóvenes profetas pasean ardientes y elegantes
Todas las almas de las chicas caen rendidas cuando el jovenzuelo les da un trago doble
Little Angel se presenta en el Easy Joe’s, un club al que se dirigen los antidisturbios cuando investigan delitos de poca monta
Pero los chicos aún andan sueltos en sus guaridas y marcando el tranquilo paso de la Calle E
Mientras las dulces noches de verano se funden en sueños estivales
Little Angel recoge a Power y se enfunda sus vaqueros 
Y ambos aparecen de nuevo en escena
Todos están bailando



1975



                            


2012

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario