Vistas de página en total

domingo, 11 de noviembre de 2012

HIGHWAY 29

* This is a song, I guess, about self-knowledge....self-knowledge is a funny thing....the less of it you have, the more you think you have....strange. When I was young, I was sure I had a lot of self-knowledge....and the older I got, the more I learned to accept myself as a total stranger, and this is a song, about a little self-knowledge coming too late....and it’s also probably the only pop song which protagonist is a shoe salesman, it’s a seething, dirty business (25-01-1996, Austin, TX)


HIGHWAY 29

I slipped on her shoe
She was a perfect size seven
I said "there's no smokin' in the store ma'am"
She crossed her legs and then
We made some small talk
That’s where it should have stopped
She slipped her number
I put it in my pocket
My hand slipped up her skirt
Everything slipped my mind
In that little roadhouse
On highway 29

It was a small town bank
It was a mess
Well I had a gun
You know the rest
Money on the floorboards
Shirt was covered in blood and she was cryin'
Her and me we headed south
On highway 29

In a little desert motel
The air it was hot and clean
l slept the sleep of the dead, I didn't dream
I woke in the morning
Washed my face in the sink
We headed into the Sierra Madres
'Cross the borderline
The winter sun shot through the black trees
I told myself it was all something in her
But as we drove I knew it was something in me
Something had been comin' for a long long time
And something that was here with me now
On highway 29

The road was filled with broken glass and gasoline
She wasn't sayin' nothin'', it was just a dream
The wind come silent through the windshield
All I could see was snow, sky and pines
I closed my eyes and I was runnin'
I was runnin' then I was flyin'
  

*Esta es una canción sobre conocimiento personal.... el conocimiento personal es algo curioso....cuanto menos lo tienes, más crees que lo tienes.... extraño. Cuando era joven, estaba seguro que me conocía mucho a mí mismo....y al hacerme mayor, más aprendía a aceptarme como un gran desconocido, y esta es una canción, sobre algo de conocimiento personal que llega demasiado tarde....y es también probablemente la única canción pop cuyo protagonista es un vendedor de zapatos, es un estresante, sucio negocio (25-01-1996, Austin, TX)


AUTOPISTA 29

Le probé el zapato
Calzaba una perfecta talla siete
Dije: "No está permitido fumar en la tienda, señorita"
Ella cruzó sus piernas y después
Hablamos durante un rato
Ahí es donde debería haber terminado
Me pasó su número
Lo metí en mi bolsillo
Mi mano levantó su falda
Todo se esfumó de mi mente
En ese pequeño motel
De la autopista 29

Fue un banco de un pueblo
Fue un desastre
Yo tenía una pistola
Ya sabéis el resto
Dinero sobre el entablado
Mi camisa cubierta de sangre y ella llorando
Ella y yo huimos hacia el sur
Por la autopista 29

En un pequeño motel desierto
El aire era caliente y limpio
Dormí como hacen los muertos, no soñé
Me levanté por la mañana
Me lavé la cara en la pica
Nos dirigimos hacia la Sierra Madre
Al otro lado de la frontera
El sol invernal penetraba entre los árboles negros
Me dije que todo era por algo que había en ella
Pero al conducir supe que era por algo que había en mí
Algo que había ido acercándose durante mucho tiempo
Y algo que estaba aquí, conmigo, ahora
En la autopista 29

La carretera estaba llena de cristales rotos y gasolina
Ella no decía nada, era simplemente un sueño
El viento entraba silencioso por el parabrisas
Todo lo que podía ver era nieve, cielo y pinos
Cerré mis ojos y salí corriendo
Salí corriendo y después volando

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario