Vistas de página en total

lunes, 3 de diciembre de 2012

THE HITTER


* This is a song about the other side of that coin, how we hold the seeds of our destruction....I like to write songs about people whose souls are at risk.... this is a song about a young fellow, he gets into some trouble and he has to leave home, ends up going to New Orleans, becomes a fighter and becomes quite a champion but sells himself short, it’s easy to do, the whole song is a conversation that he has with his mother when he comes back through town towards the end of his life and he has this conversation through a locked door (30-04-2005, Glendale, AZ)

THE HITTER

Come to the door, Ma, and unlock the chain
I was just passin' through and got caught in the rain
There's nothin' I want, nothin' that you need say
Just let me lie down for a while and I'll be on my way

I was no more than a kid
When you put me on the Southern Queen
With the police on my back I fled to New Orleans
I fought in the dockyards and with the money I made
I knew the fight was my home and blood was my trade
Baton Rouge, Ponchatoula, and Lafayette town
Well they paid me their money, Ma
I knocked the men down
I did what I did well it come easily
Restraint and mercy, Ma, were always strangers to me

I fought champion Jack Thompson in a field full of mud
Rain poured through the tent to the canvas
And mixed with our blood
In the twelfth I slipped my tongue over my broken jaw
I stood over him
And pounded his bloody body into the floor
Well the bell rang and rang and still I kept on
'Till I felt my glove leather slip
Between his skin and bone

Then the women and the money came fast
And the days I lost track
The women red, the money green
But the numbers were black
I fought for the men in their silk suits
To lay down their bets
I took my good share, Ma, I have no regrets

Then I took the fix at the state armory
With big John McDowell
From high in the rafters I watched myself fall
As they raised his arm my stomach twisted
And the sky it went black
I stuffed my bag with their good money
And I never looked back

Understand, in the end, Ma
Every man plays the game
If you know me one different then speak out his name
Ma, if my voice now you don't recognize
Then just open the door and look into your dark eyes
I ask of you nothin', not a kiss not a smile
Just open the door and let me lie down for a while

Now the gray rain's fallin' and my ring fightin's done
So in the work fields and alleys
I take all who'll come
If you're a better man than me then just step to the line
Show me your money and speak out your crime
Now there's nothin' I want, Ma
Nothin' that you need say
Just let me lie down for a while and I'll be on my way


Tonight in the shipyard
A man draws a circle in the dirt
I move to the center and I take off my shirt
I study him for the cuts, the scars, the pain
Man, nor time can erase
I move hard to the left and I strike to the face


* Esta es una canción sobre la otra cara de esa moneda, sobre como llevamos las semillas de nuestra destrucción....me gusta escribir sobre personas con almas en riesgo.... esta es sobre un tipo joven, que se mete en problemas y abandona su hogar, y termina en Nueva Orleans, se hace luchador y llega a ser campeón, pero se vende por nada, lo más fácil.Toda la canción es una conversación que tiene con su madre cuando regresa a la ciudad al final de su vida y mantienen esta conversación a través de una puerta cerrada (30-04-2005, Glendale, AZ)

EL LUCHADOR

Acércate a la puerta, madre, y abre la cadena
Sólo pasaba por aquí y me sorprendió la lluvia
No quiero nada, ni necesito que digas nada
Sólo déjame descansar un rato y seguiré mi camino

No era más que un niño
Cuando me subiste en el Southern Queen
Con la policía en los talones huí a Nueva Orleans
Luché en los astilleros y con el dinero que gané
Supe que mi hogar era la lucha y mi oficio, la sangre
Baton Rouge, Ponchatoula y Lafayette Town
Me entregaban su dinero, Madre
Y tumbaba a los hombres
Hice lo que sabía, con gran facilidad
Moderación y piedad, siempre fueron extraños para mí

Luché contra el campeón Jack Thompson en un barrizal
La lluvia caía a través de la carpa hasta la lona
Y se mezclaba con nuestra sangre
En el duodécimo pasé mi lengua por mi mandíbula rota
Me abalancé sobre él
Y machaqué su sangriento cuerpo contra el suelo
La campana sonaba y sonaba y yo seguía golpeando
Hasta sentir mi guante de cuero resbalar
Entre su piel y sus huesos

Después las mujeres y el dinero llegaron rápido
Y perdí la noción del tiempo
Mujeres pelirrojas, el dinero verde
Pero los números eran negros
Luché para que los hombres en trajes de seda
Subieran sus apuestas
Me llevé buena tajada, madre, no lo lamento

Después amañé un combate en la armería estatal
Con el gran John McDowell
Desde lo alto de las gradas observé mi hundimiento
Al levantarle su brazo, mi estómago se revolvió
Y el cielo oscureció
Llené mi bolsa con un buen dinero
Y jamás miré atrás

Compréndelo, al final
Todos juegan su partida
Si conoces alguien diferente, entonces, dime su nombre
Madre, si ahora mi voz no reconoces
Entonces abre la puerta y mira estos oscuros ojos
No te pido nada, ni un beso, ni una sonrisa
Sólo abre la puerta y déjame descansar un rato

Ahora cae la lluvia gris y mis luchas en el ring acabaron
Así que en campos y callejones
Reto a quien venga
Si eres mejor hombre que yo, entonces cruza esta línea
Enséñame tu dinero y proclama tu crimen
Ahora no quiero nada, madre
Ni necesito que digas nada
Sólo déjame descansar un rato y seguiré mi camino


Esta noche en el astillero
Un hombre traza un círculo en el barro
Me voy hasta el centro y me quito la camisa
Le estudio los cortes, las cicatrices, el dolor
Que ni tiempo ni hombres borrarán
Me muevo veloz a la izquierda y golpeo a la cara









2005

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario