Vistas de página en total

lunes, 3 de diciembre de 2012

JESUS WAS AN ONLY SON


* I was brought up Catholic but I quit it around when I was 13, I kind of I had enough and I had told my parents that I wasn’t going to Catholic high school, I said ´No, I don’t care what, you know, what you do to me, I can’t take it’ so they sent me to Catechism class and then....let me see what happened, oh yeah, everybody fooled around, it was Monday night and I went there for a while and then, my mother forgot about it, ´Oops, missed it´ and I got away from the whole thing but it’s sort of like that Al Pacino-line in that Godfather III, ´I keep trying to get out but they keep pulling me back,´ it’s the same sort of, ´they´ in my case being not the mafia but my relatives and aunts and uncles, they get me to church for there’s confirmations or something else going in the family and then they always try to get me to go to Communion which you’re not supposed to do if you haven’t made your confession and your act of contrition so I’m kind of through with the whole confessing thing and I don’t feel very contrite these days, as I tell ´em, but, then if that doesn’t work, I tell ´em that I’m divorced and that actually means you’re excommunicated.... I think they should review that law because I mean they’re leaving out a whole lot of folks that could be dropping cash into that basket  and it’s just bad business.... if you’re divorced, you can’t come to the show! that’s bad business… I don’t know who thought that one up but at any rate I look back through my songs and of course they’re filled with religious imagery and which has been a source of kind of poetry and power arising from the sheer terror of my childhood.... anyhow, I wrote a lot of songs about parents and kids, and I wrote this one trying to imagine Jesus as somebody’s son, once you have your, somebody’s baby and your kids, they have their own destiny which they’re informing you of at quite an early age and you also know ´Shit, I’m along the whole ride of this sucker....wherever this is going, I’m going too ´ so, thinking about that, this is a song called ´Jesus Was an Only Son´....

JESUS WAS AN ONLY SON

Jesus was an only son
As he walked up Calvary Hill
His mother Mary walking beside him
In the path where his blood spilled

Jesus was an only son
In the hills of Nazareth
As he lay reading the Psalms of David
At his mother's feet     (**)

(**) Now the first thing that strikes you when you have your kids is that suddenly in your stomach there appears this feeling that you realise that there’s nothing you wouldn’t do, no train you wouldn’t step in front of to keep them safe....

A mother prays, "Sleep tight, my child, sleep well
For I'll be at your side
That no shadow, no darkness, no tolling bell
Shall pierce your dreams this night"   (***)

(***) And if you figure the choices we make get their weight and their meaning by the things that we sacrifice for them....you choose something, some part of life....and you give up some other part....I always figured....Jesus had to be thinking about what He was going to lose....He had to be feeling, he was a young guy.... ´There’s that sweet little bar down in Galilee....I could probably manage the place, Mary Magdalene could tend bar, we could have a bunch of kids and get to see the sun on their face and watch the air fill their lungs at night when they’re sleeping and get to see the next day and the next day and the next day (31-07-2005, Columbus, Ohio)

In the garden at Gethsemane
He prayed for the life he'd never live
He beseeched his Heavenly Father to remove
The cup of death from his lips

Now there's a loss that can never be replaced
A destination that can never be reached
A light you'll never find in another's face
A sea whose distance cannot be breached

Well Jesus kissed his mother's hands
Whispered, "Mother, still your tears
For remember the soul of the universe
Willed a world and it appeared"



* Me educaron como católico pero decidí abandonarlo cuando tenía unos 13 años, sentía que tenía suficiente y les dije a mis padres que no quería ir a una escuela católica, dije ´No, no me importa, sabéis, lo que me hagáis, no lo soporto’ así que me enviaron a clases de catequesis y después....a ver qué pasó, oh sí, todos enloquecieron, era un lunes por la noche y fui allí un rato y después, mi madre se olvidó de ello, ´Oops, me olvidé´ y me libré de todo eso pero fue como el diálogo de Al Pacino en El Padrino III, ´Intento librarme de ello pero me atrapan otra vez´ me pasaba lo mismo con ´ellos’, que en mi caso no es que fueran la mafia sino mis familiares y tíos y tías, que  me llevaban a la iglesia porque había confirmaciones u otra cosa en la familia y después siempre intentaban que hiciera la comunión que se supone que no debes hacer si no te has confesado y has hecho tu acto de contrición, así que pasé por todo eso de la confesión aunque hoy en día no me siento muy contrito, como les digo a ellos, pero, si eso no funciona, les digo que estoy divorciado y que de hecho significa que estás excomulgado.... creo que deberían revisar esa ley porque están excluyendo a mucha gente que podría dejar dinero en la cesta  y eso es un mal negocio.... si estás divorciado, ¡no puedes asistir al espectáculo! Es un mal negocio… no sé quién se lo inventó pero al final todo ello se reflejó en mis canciones y por supuesto están llenas de imaginería religiosa y ha sido una buena fuente de poesía y una gran ayuda para escapar del verdadero terror de mi niñez.... de cualquier modo, escribí muchas canciones sobre padres e hijos, y escribí esta tratando de imaginar a Jesús como el hijo de alguien, una vez que tienes tus propios hijos, el niño de alguien o tus hijos, ellos tienen su propio destino que te van mostrando desde una muy temprana edad y también piensas ´Diablos, tendré que seguir el mismo camino que este infeliz.... allá donde vaya, yo iré también ´ así que, pensando en todo eso, esta es una canción titulada ´Jesus Was an Only Son´....

JESÚS FUE HIJO ÚNICO

Jesús fue hijo único
Al subir al monte del Calvario
Su madre María caminaba junto a él
Por la vía donde derramó su sangre

Jesús fue hijo único
En las colinas de Nazaret
Al yacer leyendo los salmos de David
A los pies de su madre    (**)

(**) Lo primero que te choca cuando tienes tus hijos es que de repente en tu estómago empiezan a aparecer sentimientos y te das cuenta de que no hay nada que no estés dispuesto a hacer, ningún tren que no intentes detener para mantenerlos a salvo....

Su madre rezaba: "Duerme, mi niño, duerme bien
Porque yo estaré a tu lado
Para que ninguna sombra, ni oscuridad, ni campana
Interrumpan tus sueños esta noche"  (***)

(***) Si nos fijamos en las elecciones que hacemos, alcanzan su sentido y su significado según las cosas que debemos sacrificar por ellas....eliges algo, alguna parte de la vida....y renuncias a otra parte....siempre imaginé....que Jesús tuvo que estar pensando sobre lo que Él iba a perder....Él tuvo que sentirlo, era un tipo joven.... ´Allí está ese pequeño bar cerca de Galilea....probablemente podría encargarme del local, María Magdalena podría atender a la barra, podríamos tener un montón de hijos y llegar a ver el sol en sus caras y observar como el aire llena sus pulmones por la noche mientras duermen y llegar a ver el día siguiente  y el siguiente y el siguiente (31-07-2005, Columbus, Ohio)

En el jardín de Getsemaní
Oró por la vida que nunca viviría
Suplicó a su Padre Celestial que apartase
El cáliz de la muerte de sus labios

Hay una pérdida que nunca se podrá recuperar
Un destino que nunca se podrá alcanzar
Una luz que nunca se encontrará en otra cara
Un mar cuya distancia no se podrá salvar

Jesús besó las manos de su madre
Susurró: "Madre, seca tus lágrimas
Pues recuerda que el alma del universo
Deseó un salvador y éste apareció"






Storytellers - 2005



Versión al piano - 2005



Versión con la Seeger Sessions Band - 2006

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario